Looking for Outliers inwards the OKC Thunder

shares

Today's lesson is brought to y'all amongst exceptional cheers to the OKC Thunder.  I chose to run information for the OKC Thunder because they are Oklahoma's entirely professional person sports team.  Oklahoma is only a lilliputian flake obsessed amongst them!   

Here's the handout I gave my students to mucilage into their interactive notebooks: 




I got the salary information from Basketball Insiders.  When my students started looking at the data, they were shocked that I had been able to abide by that information on the internet! 


Up until this indicate inwards the course, the entirely agency my students knew to position outliers was to eyeball them.  This was actually frustrating my students, in addition to they kept begging for a to a greater extent than definitive agency to come across if a information value was an outlier.  I LOVE that my students were begging for a method for identifying outliers.  I demand to abide by to a greater extent than ways to brand my students BEG for solutions inwards math class!  


Before spilling the beans in addition to telling them how nosotros cheque for outliers, I asked the course of written report to verbalise over who they idea must travel an outlier.  100% of the course of written report was absolutely certain that Russell Westbrook HAD to travel an outlier.  Some reasoned that Enes Kanter must also travel an outlier since in that place is such a big gap betwixt Taj Gibson's salary in addition to Enes Kanter's salary.  Others were non in addition to then sure.  

Then, the conversation got super interesting when soul suggested that nosotros powerfulness also convey outliers on the lower terminate of the data.  This was fifty-fifty to a greater extent than controversial than the conversation regarding Enes Kanter!  I had to halt the fence in addition to larn my students started on finding the 5 break summary.  


This was my students' kickoff fourth dimension e'er finding the 5 break summary for a information set.  Finding the minimum, median, in addition to maximum were a breeze.  Students were a flake confused yesteryear lower quartile in addition to upper quartile, but that confusion was rapidly cleared up.  


Next, nosotros constitute the interquartile range.  I must convey jumped likewise rapidly referring to the interquartile attain every bit IQR because when my students took their quiz, I got asked agency likewise many times what "interquartile range" meant.  As shortly every bit I said "IQR" they knew just what to create in addition to got correct dorsum to work.  Oops...  Maybe I should entirely telephone weep upwardly it "interquartile range" inwards the hereafter until students beg for an abbreviation!  


Defining outliers every bit beingness to a greater extent than than 1.5 IQRs exterior of the upper quartile in addition to lower quartile results inwards ii outliers: Russell Westbrook in addition to Enes Kanter.

My students ended upwardly beingness engaged throughout this activity.  They seemed truly interested inwards finding out which players were outliers.  

One educatee begged me to await upwardly information for other sports teams for their quizzes.  He said that if I used his favorite teams I would travel his favorite instructor ever!  

Files for this lesson are uploaded here.  




Artikel Terkait

0 Komentar:

Post a Comment